Newborn Photoshoot Hints & Tips.
Shutter & Co Photography | 07-06-2020
How do I prepare my baby for the newborn shoot?
As a photographer and a father of three, I understand that a little preparation can go a long way and I always give my clients the following pointers:
- When baby arrives make contact with the studio as soon as possible. This will give you the best chance of reserving a shoot time within two weeks of birth.
- Try and keep your baby awake for at least 1 – 2 hours before the session. This can seem (and sometimes prove) impossible, we recommend giving a warm bath and nice long feed before you set off to the studio.
- When you arrive please bring baby into the shop in their car seat. Hopefully they will be nice and sleepy after the car journey. Don’t take them out of the seat until we are ready to start the shoot.
- If possible bring baby dressed in clothing that will be easy to remove, we want to try and keep baby as settled as possible. No vest and a front opening baby grow is easiest to remove. If it’s a cold day you could use blankets over baby on their journey to the studio.
- We have lots of newborn props and accessories. However, it’s lovely to have something personal too, so if you have a special bear, blanket, outfit or keepsake please let us know so we can incorporate them into the shoot.
- RELAX! We know it’s been an overwhelming few days since your little bundle arrived, don’t worry they are in safe hands and we will be as gentle and careful as if we were looking after our own baby
Please allow around 2 hours for the photoshoot, sometimes it takes a lot less time, but we don’t like to rush these shoots. The room will be pretty warm, so Mum & Dad dress for your summer holidays 🙂 Sometimes we use white noise to keep baby calm, if your baby has a dummy please bring this along as it can be helpful to sooth baby. We love to include the family so if Mum, Dad and any siblings would like to join baby for a few photographs this is no problem, just let us know when you schedule your appointment. Mum don’t forget to style hair and wear a little makeup, simple clothing is best, white or black tops and jeans. Try not to get too stressed out about the shoot—it will be casual and simple, and the more relaxed you are, the more relaxed your baby and the rest of the family will be, too. Enjoy this opportunity to bond and start out a lifelong tradition of captured moments.